Køge Mini-Town is built as a model of Køge Town as it looked like in 1865. Køge, which is one of the oldest towns in Denmark, was granted trading privileges in 1288 by King Erik Menved. The town was laid almost as it looks today with the characteristic square - the largest in Denmark outside Copenhagen - situated in the center of the town and with streets sourced from each corner. Its position by the Baltic Sea has throughout the ages been of great importance to Køge, both in peacetime and in wartime.
Many battles with the Swede took place in the old days both by sea and by land. Køge was occupied by the Swede from 1658 to 1660 and during that incident and also during the big fire in 1633, many of the old houses were destroyed.
In the 15th and 16th centuries the Baltic Sea Trade was flourishing and som of the buildings from that period are still to be seen. In the period around 1865, Køge was quite a lively town. Approximately 3.000 people lived in the 640 houses and buildings which made up the town of Køge. The population was increasing with around 30 percent from 1840 to 1870 but as no new houses were buillt, the living became more and more crowded. 18 grocers and 18 provision dealers and small tradesmen served the population.
9 distilleries produced around 275.000 liters of aquavit and furthermore, 40.000 liters were imported from Copenhagen.
37 publichouses existed in Køge, which also housed a pharmacy, an iron foundry, a carpet producer, two paper factories, a chocolateproducer and a tobabacco factory.The railway came to Køge in 1871.